I am trying to learn game programming and CalArt’s Introduction to game design course is recommended by Ozgur Ozan Cakmak.
It is free to audit the course but needs 49 USD/month to take part in the course (submitting assignment, getting grades, etc.)
For first assignment “Make a simple paper-based game”, I created “Rolling with the dices”.
Rolling with the dices
reach GOAL using two dices
Instruction to play
requires one or two physical dices (or) virtual dices
- Player start from START position.
- Player throw two dices and the first is taken as x, second dice as y.
- Move the player accordingly and mark the slot.
- If the slot has instruction, make the instruction affects on next throw (e.g. Next x = 6 – take x as 6 and second dice as y).
- If player move again on the same slot, throw two dices to pick one of the followings. The effect affects next move.
- 2, 12: GOAL
- 3, 5, 7, 9, 11: go to y 7
- 4, 6, 8, 10: go to x 7
- For dramatic effect, use only one dice.
- simple objective: checked
- can be varied with draw and slot instruction.
- reaching GOAL made easier with longer playing time
- game of chance: purely game of chance (not a game of skill)